Thursday, March 18, 2010

Venice, Italy 2008

Mom and I had the wonderful gift in 2008 to be able to visit Italy. This was a dream come true for me since I studied Art History in college. Mom and GR had just visited Italy in November and (luckily for me) thought I just HAD to see all the treasures there. I really wanted to visit Florence, which is the cradle of the Renaissance. Mom almost insisted that we visit Venice. I was balking at this idea... isn't all the history in Florence and Rome? Thankfully, we ended up visiting Venice first and I was AMAZED! It ended up being my favorite place; the water, the architecture, the pigeons! I am going to be sharing excerpts from my journal and the photos I took along with them. I hope you enjoy!

February 16, 2008 (Saturday)
Dennis and GR just dropped us off and we sat and talked with them for a while before we left. I sure will miss my sweet Dennis but I am so excited about seeing Italy and am happy about spending my vacation with mom! On our trip from Atlanta to JFK, there was a soldier a few seats in front of us. Before the plane took off, a stewardess came and moved him to first class. That was really good to see. Mom and I both teared up.
At this point, let me explain about the gnome. I bought mom a travelling gnome in a box. It is called the Gnome Away From Home (and can be purchased from Amazon HERE). We named him Duomo Gnome (after the Florence Cathedral, the Duomo) and he went everywhere with us. Since then, mom and I get something gnome-y for each other every Christmas... kind of a gag, if you will. It is too funny, I promise. Moving along.....

February 17, 2008 (Sunday)
We did a lot today (especially with no sleep). The weather was beautiful, sunny but cold. Our flight arrived in Venice a little after 9am. I was in awe at all the old beautiful buildings on the water and the colorful gondoliers. St. Marks Basilica was awesome. No other word can describe its grandeur or glory. The mosaics were so pretty and gold in their Byzantine style. We went to the top of the church and look out over the water, it was so pretty. There was so much to see. 

Our first views of the beautiful city (above).  I love the architecture of the buildings, they are so delicate and
ornate.  I love taking pictures of windows, doors, everyday things that seem spectacular up close. A simple window is made extra special by a pretty flowerpot filled with red flowers.
 
Below are some architectural details I found surrounding St. Mark's Basilica.  I loved catching the reflection of the piazza in the reflective ball. 











The amazing St. Marks Basilica, finished in 1094.  The inside is beautiful and the walls are comprised of beautiful mosaics made up of gold, bronze, and colorful stones.  Photography is not allowed inside the Basilica (but I managed to sneak a couple... however the quality does not do justice to how it looks in person).

 


At the top of the Basilica are some gorgeous views.  There are statues of horses on top of the Basilica that date back to Classical Antiquity.  They were brought to St. Marks and displayed on top of the Basilica in 1254.  The originals are actually inside the Basilica now, but the bronze replicas are striking. 

 
 After visiting the Basilica, we went back to the room and checked in (to the Antico Panada). We then went to the Correr Museum which was very close to our hotel. They had many sculptures by Canova that were beautiful. However, photography was not allowed and they had an attendant in almost every room.
The street where our hotel was located
Our lavishly decorated room
Our lovely, marble bathroom (complete with towel warmer)
The view from our room (or the lack thereof)... but who can complain, we are in Italy

February 18, 2008 (Monday)
After leaving our room this morning we went to San Giorgio Maggiore (which is on a separate island). It was very beautiful but very cold. We went up in the bell tower elevator and had such a wonderful, spectacular view of the city and the sparkling water.



Construction on the church was begun in 1566.  It was completed in 1610. 




The view back towards St. Mark's Square, including the bell tower

These planks were everywhere.  We discovered they were in place for when the island becomes flooded.  That way, people still have access to the sights and can easily go about their daily business.  This gate was to the Monastery located next to the church. 


Next, we took a boat back over to San Marco and went to the Doge's Palace. Wow. I can't imagine anyone living in a home so grand! The Doge's Palace connects to the prison via The Bridge of Sighs (so named because supposedly the prisoners "sighed" while crossing the bridge because it was their last view of Venice). I can't imagine being a prisoner in there. It was so dark, cold, and the cells were so small.
The Bridge of Sighs
The last views of Venice through the Bridge of Sighs
Small, narrow passageways in the prison, as well as small cell doors.  I can imagine how dark it would be down here without the artificial lighting. 
I don't think most prisoners would be this happy. 

After the palace we were famished so we decided to eat lunch. We had pizzas and cokes. In the restaurant, they were playing Van Halen's "Jump"! How funny! We then took some pictures of Duomo gnome with the pigeons and the lion next to St. Marks.

St. Mark is the Patron Saint of Venice.  It is said that his remains were brought here in the ninth century.  St. Mark's traditional symbol, the winged lion, can be seen throughout the city. 

We then made our way to the Frari Church. I think this was my favorite in Venice. It was so beautiful with its simple vaulted ceilings. Canova's tomb was there and was a marble masterpiece.
In the courtyard of the Frari Church





Titian's Assumption
The tomb of Canova (only his heart is buried here)
Another winged lion, symbol of St. Mark


Stained glass panel showing St. Francis.



After viewing all the treasures at the Frari, we made our way back to our room.  But not before going by the Rialto Bridge and window shopping in the market.  The sun was setting over the water and made for a beautiful finish to a perfect day.


We left Venice on Tuesday, February 19, 2008.  It was a bitterly cold morning but the sunrise was so magnificent upon the water.  Here are a few of our last views of the jewel of Venice. 




No comments:

Post a Comment